Monday, February 3, 2020

The Women Who Caught the Babies by Eloise Greenfield & Illus by Daniel Minter


Oh my word. This book is so gorgeous. 


It begins with a little historical note about African-American midwives. 


And then the amazing Eloise Greenfield launches into poetry illustrated eloquently by Daniel Minter. 

These pictures are not the greatest, so I strongly advise you to find a copy of this ASAP.


There is such a geometric/batik quality to the detail here that seems so timeless. 

And those biceps....!!


I don't pretend to fully understand all the art, but that might be what adds an element of awe to it. 


Greenfield writes poems throughout the centuries up until the present day, but doesn't overwhelm the reader with words or poems. Spare word use and only a poem or two a century, make the words stand out. 


Emancipation Proclamation--the first child born free. 


The early 2000's


Welcome them into the world for loving. 

Swoon. 

I don't feel this review really portrays the magnificence of this book (okay, it doesn't at all--I don't know what is wrong with my camera) but trust me on this--it is incredible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment