Monday, November 25, 2019

Over the River and Through the Woods by Matt Tavares


Students love singing books, so I decided to get a copy of Over the River to sing to them. While searching for a copy, I found several different versions with very different illustrations. So I had to get them all. Because, who did it best? 

We must know. 


The first one I found, up in the top left has the most conventional illustrations. 


Period appropriate and attention to detail


We will not stop for doll or top 
For 'tis Thanksgiving Day


Conventional or not, I enjoy these illustrations! 

This is the only copy that had this particular stanza in it

Over the river, and through the wood, 
With a clear blue winter sky
The dogs do bark,
And children hark,
As we go jingling by. 




This is definitely an idealized version of a New England back in the day, but hey, I am not one to argue with a dollop of nostalgia. 


So I like this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment