Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Snowed In by Barbara M. Lucas & Illus by Catherine Stock


This past weekend we were rather snowed in--not for months on end, but for a full 36 hours, which felt dramatic enough. 


This is the story of Grace and Luke. At first you think they are just waving goodbye like a regular day. 


But then they go to the store and pick up a lot of supplies. 


And they get boxes filled with books from the library. 


Snow is just beginning to fall as they reach home. 


By the next morning, they are snowed in for the rest of the winter. 

As a child, that sounded enchanting. As an adult, it sounds a little petrifying. I like staying at home as much as the next person, but.... I can leave when I want. I can imagine feeling a little boxed in if I couldn't leave. 


They do their chores. 

And read. 


I have always had a bit of a love affair with the west, so a book combining the west and a love of reading is going to win me over pretty easily. 


Apparently this story came from a cowboy Barbara Lucas talked to once--he showed her some of his own writings and they talked about his schooling, since his writing showed an incredible depth of literary knowledge and intelligence. He said he got to school when he could, but was often snowed in for the winters, so his parents always made sure there were a lot of books around. 


Aren't these pictures great? 


Imaginary wanderings.

Heart eyes!



And then it was spring again and the way to town thawed out. 

As long as the supplies held out, no one got incredibly sick, the house didn't burn, and no wolves/bears/murderers came to call, I could see this being an idyllic time. 

Basically, I would like to be a pioneer, but with no inconveniences. Sounds reasonable. 

1 comment: