Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Dreamers by Yuyi Morales


This book. 

I heard so much about this book in the lead up to the Caldecott awards. And being contrary and not particularly in love with the art in the past few Caldecott winners, I was pretty ambivalent about this one, assuming it wouldn't really be something I would love. 

BUT I DO. 

This gorgeous book is multilayered, detail oriented, and full of love for children and books. 

My heart! 


The illustrations are amazing. Just really, truly amazing. 

In this illustration, childhood drawings of the artist/author are overlaid with a perfectly adorable illustration of the artist as a child. 


These pictures are reminiscent of the intricate embroidery and flamboyant colors of Central American traditional clothing.


Everything in the illustrations is carefully thought out and meaningful. The pathway here is a photograph of the road in her hometown in Mexico. As she is moving across the border to be with the American father of her baby, she is followed by other famous Central American-American migrants: Monarch butterflies and swallows. 


This new land, with a new language was difficult to navigate and make sense of. 


But armed with a stroller and backpack, Yuyi and her baby explored their new world.


One day they stumbled upon a public library. 


They were told they could just take books home without paying. How could that be?! 

I ADORE that actual books are pictured here. 


Worlds and words began to open up to them through the books they brought home. 


Walking with loads of books. I feel like Yuyi and I are kindred spirits. 

When my first two kids were tiny and we were living near Lake Placid, I had a double stroller that I would push one mile to the public library and a nearby thrift store. The number of days I pushed that stroller uphill overflowing with books are hard to count. 


We are stories.
We are two languages.
We are lucha.
We are resilience.
We are hope.

We are dreamers, 
soñadores of the world. 


At the end of the book, Yuyi shares her and her son's story of coming to America. 


There is a list of books that were beloved by her and her son. 

I LOVE reading people's list of books that they love or care about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment