Monday, January 7, 2019

Tiny, Perfect Things by M.H. Clark & Illus by Madeline Kloepper


This book is everything I want in a picture book.

A focus on nature
Finding the magical in the ordinary
Inter-generational bonding
Taking walks
Cozy homes
Friendly world


I am not going to tell you how long I have had this book  checked out from the library. Suffice it to say it has been a while. A few weeks. Or months..... 

We moved a few months ago and I discovered a box of library books under my bed last week. Ooops. 


I have been putting off taking pictures for this book because I wanted to go out in the woods and find some tiny perfect things to take pictures with. Teeny flowers, emerging buds, perfectly red leaves, etc. 

The tiny, perfect things of winter melt too quickly for photographing with books. 

But today, I challenged myself to find some tiny, perfect things in the wintery woods while walking the dogs. It was a cold and windy day, but the sun made a brief appearance this afternoon. And there were so many tiny, perfect things in that magic time just before sunset--the way the lowering sun shines over a windswept field of snow, how the sun shines around bare trees, the little funnels of snow the wind whips up.... 

And so on the way back, I looked more closely for things that are perfect. The teeniest of buds on the trees that are there as soon as the leaves fall off in the fall. The dried seed heads of last summer's flowers. A spray of pine needles. 

There is magic and beauty all around us.


But back to the story!

A little girl and her grandfather head out for a walk, keeping their eyes open for tiny, perfect things. 


Windblown leaves


Spiderwebs


Bottle caps, sidewalk flowers, beautiful dogs.


I love this grandfather and little girl who are such friends!


Neighborly waves!


Red apples


And then, as the moon is rising, they head home.


There are things to tell Mommy!

(While Daddy cooks yummy food in a darling kitchen.)


And then, while everyone is cozying up, the little girl starts making plans for the walks they will take the next day. 

I love this inter-generational household! 


At the end of the book, there is a fold out section where readers can look for the pictured tiny, perfect things...


...in a picture of their neighborhood.


And then, I saw my paperwhites popping up. And if there is anything more perfect than emerging bulbs, I just don't know what is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment