Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Stranded at Plimoth Plantation 1626 by Gary Bowen


Not the first Thanksgiving, but sort of Thanksgiving-y. So here you are. 

I love the wood cut illustrations, which is why I picked it up. 


I love cloud faces blowing ships around. 


This book is the fictional diary of 13 year old Christopher Sears headed for Jamestown. As you may have suspected from the title, this book is about "Plimoth" not Jamestown. Because surprise! the ship crashed on the New England shore.  


Fortunately, Native Americans rescued the shipwrecked sailors and delivered them to the Pilgrims.


In the intervening year between ships, Christopher became immersed in the lives of the Pilgrims, recording the births, deaths, arrests, and excitements of their lives. While it is entirely fictional, it is researched enough to accurately depict life in Plimoth. (Why is there a "y" in Plymoth now? Did he just not know how to spell Plymoth? Clearly he had not installed grammarly on his notebook.)


Poor Christopher--enduring peeping Puritains. 

When I was dressing this morning, by accident my shirt went on inside out. Elinor Adams, who was peering into the house through a crack in the wall, screamed at me not to reverst it. She said to wear it that was for it was a sign of good luck. 

I am unaccustomed to this Puritan notion of constantly checking the wrongdoing  of others.

 You and me both, Christopher. How is it okay to spy on people getting dressed? I think they call if voyeurism these days. 

And Christopher burned his finger and ripped his pants, so not lucky, Elinor. Nice try. 


A death


I love order. I know it is super boring. But I do. 


Pretty marvelous sunset.

Inevitably, Christopher begins to wonder if maybe life would be better for him here in the place he is familiar with rather than the unknown Jamestown. But there is the small detail of being indentured to a Captain.... But with Captain Standish on his side, Christopher might just win out. 

For some reason, I was always fascinated by Plymoth. The Puritans were so... restrained and bizarre at the same time. The chance of actually surviving so minuscule. The whole idea so audacious. Also, I read a book I really loved named... Constance or something like that about a Puritan girl. And I was a history nerd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment