Tuesday, December 18, 2018

The Little Reindeer by Michael Foreman


Christmas books. It is time. I don't actually celebrate Christmas with a lot of fanfare, so over the top books about Christmas aren't always my thing. I mean.... I love the north. I love winter. I love caribou. I love red. I love fairy lights. I love evergreens. But I love them all the time. I don't really want to just love them for a few weeks or a month. I feel like we should just celebrate winter all winter long, not just at the very beginning of winter!

This book fits nicely into my not over the top category. 


This little reindeer, that looks rather like a goat notices things are hopping over in the human world. 


So he heads over to check it out. 

I love these illustrations. Rustic and northern-y. 


The little reindeer gets on the toy packaging belt by accident. 

Okay, these elves are dressed like Sami people and that makes so much sense. Reindeer herders really should have a more prominent place in Christmas stories. Because.... duh! Who do you think is wrangling the reindeer all year long? 

I adore the colors the rich colors of the Sami clothing. 


The wrapped up little reindeer is bundled into somewhere else and feels himself moving through the air. And then he falls out. 


Turns out he was delivered to a city rooftop and a little boy who is thrilled with such a marvelous present. 

Kids and animals--a magic combination.


The little boy makes a little place for the reindeer to live on the roof and brings him bread and four different kinds of cereal to see what he likes. 

I love this kid! 

Even the pigeons eventually accepted their new roof dweller. 


The boy cares for the reindeer very carefully. By early summer, the reindeer is able to take the boy flying through the city, passed the giant cowboy billboard. 


Oh the delight! 


But then, winter comes back. And around Christmas, the reindeer begins to get the urge to head north to see what he can do to help. And the boy has to decide if he will let the reindeer go or demand the homesick reindeer stay with him. No surprise about what happens, but that generous, self-sacrificing theme is always so inspiring to kids. And features in Christmas stories quite regularly. 

A cute little story that focuses a little more on reindeer (caribou) than Santa and the elves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment