Thursday, December 27, 2018

The Night Tree by Eve Bunting & Illus by Ted Rand


I heard of this book a few years ago, but couldn't find it again. Mostly because I didn't know the title or author. Which makes things tricky. But I found it on the Christmas book cart at the library. 

And I like it just as much as I thought I would! 


Eve Bunting has written a bajillion books. Sometimes I find her books a little on the earnest side--a wee bit to serious to thoroughly enjoy. But this one is pretty great!


And Ted Rand is a long time favorite of mine. 


Every year this family bundles up for a nighttime Christmas decorating picnic.


They find the same tree that they have decorated for several years.


And under the watchful eye of some forest creatures, they set to work.


Apple, tangerine, and peanut butter popcorn ball ornaments are topped off with popcorn garlands. 


When they are all done, they admire their work,


and have a picnic. 


Then, with full tummies and sleepy eyes, they head back to the truck. 


And go home to imagine all the forest animals eating at their tree. 

I would love to do this at school and then revisit in a week or so to see what kind of animal tracks we got and have students try to identify what animals came to eat at their Christmas tree. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I like this book, too. This is my first visit to your blog and I like your story about books and umbrellas. As for me, I take picture books with me when I go hiking in the mountain.
    I hope your days will be filled with Christmas spirits.

    ReplyDelete