Thursday, November 9, 2017

The Wolf, the Duck & the Mouse by Mac Barnett & Illus by Jon Klassen


This book is SO AWESOME. I love it, my kids love it, my school kids love it. You WILL love it too. (That's a command.)


One day, a mouse met a wolf and the inevitable happened--he was swallowed up.


In the wolf's tummy, the mouse sets up a ruckus "Oh woe is me!" only to be told to be quiet. 

Apparently there was a duck living in the wolf's stomach as well. 

"I may have been swallowed, but I have no intention of being eaten." 


They have a lovely breakfast. 

Mouse questions duck about where she got jam and a tablecloth. 

"You'd be surprised what you find inside of a wolf."


 They take their soup seriously. 

Duck has such indomitable spirit, you can't help but love her. (or him. It never really says.)


After duck explains how and why she lives in the wolf's stomach--

"Out there I was always worried about being gobbled up by wolves. In here, I don't have to worry about it." 

--mouse decides he would like to stay. So they have a celebration. 


Which makes the wolf feel wozzily, The goose tells him a good hunk of cheese, wine, and beeswax candles would cure him. 


That night they feast--involving wine and beeswax candles. 

All is delightful in their little home! 


Until that home is threatened. 


"Tonight, we ride to defend our home!"

Not surprisingly, the hunter is a little nonplussed to have this apparition come charging out of a wolf's mouth. He takes off. 


The wolf tells them he will honor whatever wish they have.

SERIOUSLY though, the saucepan and sieve hats--the tablecloth cape--the hockey stick.... I really, really love these characters. 


And I will leave it for you to figure out what they asked for. 

GO READ THIS BOOK.

No comments:

Post a Comment