Monday, April 29, 2019

Big Bear Ball by JoAnne Ryder & Illus by Steven Kellogg


This book is a riot of color and exuberance. 

I am sure I have already discussed my childhood obsession with Steven Kellogg. But if I haven't, he was a rockstar in my little kid library. Pinkerton! That wild sea monster! The tadpole that got too big! Paul Bunyan! Johnny Appleseed! 

He was kind of a big deal to us.


Those colors though!


This book is rhyming and lilting, one of those books that is sort of like a song without a tune.


Mostly, this book has a lot of bears getting together for a shin-dig.


And these bears do not stint on enthusiasm.


So much enthusiasm they get the other animals involved.


They even take on Gator.


And with the sunrise, they are away.


Until next time!

Seriously. Even though a lot of my favorite illustrators today use a muted palette and folk-arty style, Steven Kellogg will always have a place in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment