Monday, April 1, 2019

We are Best Friend by Roger Priddy


This is a quick little book that makes me smile every time I read it. 

Not deep, wise, or reflective. Just colorful, mildly amusing, and.... it has a teacup on the front cover.

Roger Priddy is somewhat of a legend in the niche market of publishing books for 1-3 year olds. He does several First 100 words... books as well as several Wipe Clean books. Those were the books I gave my kids to "read" (okay, we all know they are really just chewing on them...) when they were teeny tiny. The kids liked the brightly colored illustrations and the puffy, chewable covers equally much, and I also wasn't deeply attached to them. They were thrown out with no sadness when the kids were done with chewing on books. 


As the title might lead you to suppose, this book is about best friends. It goes through several famous inseparable pairs. 

The graffiti style personification (big word! Thank you grade 5 English class.) of these everyday objects is a big part of the appeal. 

Look how happy they are to be together. How could you not delight in their relationship? 

But it does make you wonder, what would Spoon have to say about this? Who is Spoon's best friend? Or is Spoon just mournfully chatting to his acquaintances the napkin and cup while Knife and Fork are busy best friending? 


And the cover models! 


Seriously. Adorable. 

Like I said, this is a small, quick book, but it is one that I don't mind reading over and over. That is the important thing in books for small children. If the adults in their life hates reading the book, the book is not going to get read all that often. I think I sang the book Baby Beluga to my kids about 753 times, but I didn't mind. I loved that book almost as much as they did. 

So if you are looking for quick little books that aren't overwhelmingly annoying to read and reread, this is a pretty good candidate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment