Monday, October 14, 2019

Kate, Who Tamed The Wind by Liz Garton Scanlon & Illus by Lee White


I was all set to fall deeply in love with this book, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I think I thought this disproving girl was going to tell the wind a thing or two, but really, this book is about the benefits of creating windbreaks. Granted, it is told in a charming and interesting way, but it was definitely different from what I thought I was going to get. 


We start out with a farm on the tip top of an outrageous hill. I would like to see the farmer who decided that was an ideal farm....


And here he is, doing laundry and losing laundry. 


Surprisingly at the tip top of the hill, the wind was very whippy. 


It even stole his hat. 

What to do?


Fortunately for Farmer Bad Choices, Kate lives in the town at the base of his hill. She knows a thing or two about the wind. 


So she applies her knowledge to this problem and comes up with a workable plan. 


And up she goes to the tip-top to share her plan with the farmer


Together they planted trees all around the hill.


Over time, the trees grew and grew until they were grown up. 


Kate and the farmer got older as well. 


And with the cleverly designed wind break, they could eat outside without any bother from the wind.

I should love this book more. I mean, trees, problem solving, nature, weather., ecologically responsible solutions.. but somehow I am just not crazy about it. It is a useful book that I will definitely read to school classes, but it isn't a book I am going to buy so I can treasure it on my bookshelf at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment