Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The Rooster Crows by Maud and Miska Petersham





I totally and completely bought this book for the cover. I loved it! I can't help it. Anything about farm kids makes me happy. It is a pretty fun collection of rhymes. My kids love Mother goose and the like, so they enjoyed this one too.  

According to Wikipedia (Alright, someday I will come up with a different source of information.) Maud and Miska Petersham "helped set the direction for illustrated children's picture books as known today." 

We owe them a lot. 


This book of American folk rhymes was the 1946 Caldecott Medal winner.



I love this woodchuck chucking wood!


I am partial to mid century color tones. 


Theses characters don't look too thrilled with life. I sympathize. Gilbert and I probably look like this every time I give him a haircut. He hates haircuts. 


Little piggies. I love the illustrations!


This picture right here? Totally worth the price of admission. Do you see the darling little fireflies with their lanterns? 

Love!


The bear climbing some sort of seemingly glass mountain


Tragic possibilities!


Totally awesome!


So much to love in this picture!



Radiance


I love this picture and the rhyme. I think we need to bring back the endearment sugar lump.


It is a pretty comprehensive collection of rhymes, with some finger plays and skip rope songs. 



Aren't they adorable?


Lazy, boy crazy daughter. 


And last, but not least, Yankee Doodle.

And now, I need to go check Amazon for this book by them. FANTASTIC. Must see it!


No comments:

Post a Comment