Wednesday, September 7, 2016

School's First Day of School by Adam Rex & Illus by Christian Robinson


This is a fun book! I read it yesterday on the first day of school to the kindergartners and preschoolers. They all enjoyed it! They really got into the school having emotions and maybe being a tiny bit nervous about the first day of school.

 (I was a tiny bit nervous about the first day of school myself. It went pretty well. I just sort of winged it--"I'll give them an introduction to the library and talk about summer vacation." Mistake! I need to plan a little more thoroughly. And I forgot to check when class ends, so I wasn't sure if I should start reading another book or line them up. Lessons learned!)


The title page has the school being built. All the heavy equipment and people it took to build the school.


And there was the school. Happy as can be.


Just him and the Janitor. 

But then the Janitor tells the school that children would be coming to school. And the school is just ever so slightly convinced he won't like kids. 


The big day arrives. The school is clearly apprehensive.



Kids overran the school!


And there were some mean older kids who complained about their beautiful new school. The school felt badly about it.


So he squirted the bad hat at the water fountain.


The kindergarten room. (I love that there are two Aidens.) The little girl with freckles was not enjoying school. 
"I don't like school," she whispered into her lap.
"Well..." thought the school. "maybe it doesn't like you either."

The school has an exact little kid attitude about things.


Cafeteria stuff, including nose milk. 


For all his hesitancy, the school decided the first day went okay. He told the Janitor all about it while he cleaned the floors.


And asked the Janitor if he thought he could invite the kids to come again tomorrow. 

"Sure," said the Janitor.

The kids got a kick out of this book. They entered into the emotions and worries of the school with glee and laughed in all the right places.

It's a good 'un!

No comments:

Post a Comment