Friday, October 28, 2016

Little Fox Lost by Frances Frost & Illus by Anna Marie Magagna


Little Fox Lost

"It is dark in the world," wept the little fox,
"And I don't know where I am!
There are three big sheep in that uphill field
And a great big black-faced ram!"
 
"It is dark in the wood," said the little fox,
"And I've lost the starmoss way!
The trees are tall and my fur is wet--
What will my mother say?"
 
"My fur is wet with the starlit dew,
A cobweb tickles my nose,
And my heart is a grasshopper wild in my chest--
Where am I, do you suppose?
 
"It is dark in the word!" sobbed the little fox.
"This path must be wrong! Here's another--"
"You're safe at my side! You're right at the door!
Big Foxes don't cry!" said his mother.

4 comments:

  1. I loved this poem as a child in the 60’s! I’m so glad it got posted! I still have it memorized in my mid 60’s! Thank you for posting it Bethaney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I also remember this poem from kindergarten and it inspired a love of foxes .

      Delete
  2. I have been looking for this little poem for years. I used to read it to my children when they were very young. Thank-you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In which book was this poem published? My mother also used to read it to me!

    ReplyDelete